In need of a ferryboat after World War II, North Haven residents acquired this vessel and Captain Neal Burgess and his crew traveled to New York to fetch the boat.
This photograph of Sleepville, off Iron Point Road, was taken circa 1920. On the far left is the home that belonged to Perce and Marion (Thayer) Crockett. In 1907, Perce and Marion moved to Sleepyville from Crockett’s River on Vinalhaven.
This photograph is of Ashmere, Charles Weeks’ early 19th-century home. It was described in an article appearing in the Courier Gazette of Rockland, Maine:
This building, pictured about 1910, began life in 1888 as the Simpson House, a hotel with a deep-water wharf for steamships. The three‑story building with a commanding view from the tower had ten bedrooms, a parlor, a reading room and a dining room that could seat 100 people.
Built in the 1890s in Ash Point by Alvin Harvey Hurd, this home became Otis Villa when it was opened as a boarding home around 1908 by Alvin and his wife May.
The Ash Point Post Office followed a common pattern in early years, also serving as the Ash Point Store. The consensus is that when this picture was taken, the store was operated by Lottie Crockett Perry Robbins and her husband Arthur.
The wharf was built shortly after July 7, 1896 when Fred Smith purchased a fairly large tract of land and soon began construction of the wharf extending into Mussel Ridge Channel.
Fred Smith bought a 40-acre farm with 800 feet of shore frontage on Crescent Beach in Owls Head, building an open dancing pavilion in1895 where he also served fish chowders.
Protected by a headland and Monroe and Sheep Islands, Owl’s Head has long been a safe haven for mariners with the earliest natives making their summer hunting and fishing camps here.
The P. K. Reed family operated this wharf for about 80 years, serving local fishermen and other mariners.
Alfred Mullett, the well known architect for the U.S. Treasury Department, designed the Second Empire Post Office and Customs House for Rockland in 1873.
General Davis Tillson, the wealthy owner of the Hurricane Granite Co., built Tillson’s Wharf at the end of Sea Street in 1881.
The Williams Quarry on Old County Road in Rockland, near the Thomaston border, was the deepest quarry in the world. It was 400 feet deep, almost 40 stories down.
The Arthur McMullen Granite Works was located at the head of South Cove, off of Main Street in Rockland’s South End.
This large Greek Revival house on Maple Street in Rockland was built for the Reverend Samuel C. Fessenden, the first pastor of the Rockland Congregational Church.
Originally called Sea Street, Tillson Avenue stretches east to the many wharfs on Crockett’s Point, which reaches into Owl’s Head Bay.