The Second Empire style Hotel Rockland, located on Main Street at the foot of Park Street, was built in 1870. Originally named the Lynde Hotel, it was renamed the St. Nicholas Hotel in 1880.
Summer guests are playing croquet on the west lawn of the Samoset Hotel in the early part of the twentieth century.
Waiting Station, Oakland Park, Me This picture shows the waiting station at Oakland Park in Rockport for the Rockland, Thomaston and Camden railway or trolley system that ran from 1892 to 1931.
Witham’s Lobster Pounds was once a stable, probably a private one owned by a large estate nearby and possibly “Roxmont”, now the home of Down East Magazine.
The original name of 150-acre Mirror Lake, at the southern base of Mt. Hosmer, was Oyster River Pond; the Oyster River rises in the lake and flows into the St. George’s River in Warren.
The schooner Abbie Browker of Thomaston awaits loading at the Long Cove Quarry, which was operated by the Booth Brothers & Hurricane Island Granite Company from about 1873 into the 1930s.
The Long Cove post office served the company town of the Booth Brothers & Hurricane Isle Granite Company. The quarry is visible beyond the post office building, with workers’ homes beyond.
The board sidewalk is long gone, and bushes and trees now eclipse this view of Martinsville. A man stands in the doorway of Georgie Pease’s house, an early house that was moved to the site.
The view over a stone wall toward the water shows the ball field in Tenants Harbor, on the road to Port Clyde, about 1950.
This view shows Route 131 as it enters the village. The second building on the right is the Ocean House, a popular lodging facility that began business in the 1850s.
This is “Fish Cove,” named for Joseph Fish, a carpenter from Waldoboro who came over from Waldoboro.
This building was built in the 1890s by the three Brennan brothers, John, James,and William, who were in the fish business.
The Ocean House is believed to have been built in the 1830s as a rooming house for mariners.
This photograph shows the most densely populated area of Port Clyde.
The large house on the right belonged to George O’Brien in the mid-1800s.
The building was initially a nineteenth-century sail loft, part of a working boatyard. Occasional town meetings were held there as well as the village’s first Masonic gatherings.