A 4-ton, 20-foot killer whale became stranded at low tide in a cove leading from Blueberry Creek in the south end of Tenants Harbor on December 15, 1956.
Treasure Point has long been one of the choicest spots in Knox County. Trees now cover the property, but the area called “Waldo’s Reserve,” on early maps, used to have open fields and long views along the St. George River toward Thomaston.
This building, still used as a Grange Hall, was built in 1908. Austin Davis headed the building crew, who hewed the sills by hand.
The Eastern Illustrating and Printing Company vehicle is parked near Eugene F. Harrington’s store and the South Thomaston post office .
South Thomaston village was called “The Keag” (pronounced “gig”) after the Wassaweskeag River.
Methodists became established in South Thomaston in the 1850s and for many years met in private homes and on the top floor of the Knox Hall, served by short-time ministers.
In 1845 William McLoon, Joshua Bartlett, Jr. and Archibald McKellar bought a lot at the end of the bridge in one-third shares and had a one-storey building constructed on it.
This bridge at the foot of Wadsworth Street in Thomaston was built from 1925 to 1928 and spans the Georges River, connecting the village to the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood and beyond to Cushing.
The bridge is known as the Lower Toll Bridge. The original toll bridge at this location was built in 1818 by Abel Hildreth, a local Thomaston carpenter and joiner, and replaced a ferry used until that time.
Thomaston was selected as the site for the Maine State Prison in 1823. The prison was completed in 1824 at which time the first 20 convicts arrived from Charlestown,
On the extreme left at the SE corner of Main and Knox Streets, is the Levensaler Block, built in 1872 by Oscar and Thomas Andrews.
The Reine Marie Stewart, 1087 Tons, was a four-masted barkentine built in 1919 by Richard, Arthur and Frank Elliot of the Dunn and Elliot Company as a coal carrier.
The Knox Hotel has been in Thomaston since first constructed in 1828 by Joseph Berry for Charles Sampson “to be used for public entertainment.”
The original Montpelier was built in 1795 as a retirement estate for Major General Henry Knox and his family.
Alford Lake Camp was located at the north end of Alford Lake in Hope, Maine, although the mailing address was Union.
This view is just west of the Common between the ‘”green” and the entrance to the Union Fairgrounds. The area is called Sunk Haze, one of two such-named places in Maine.