This neighborhood is called Sunk Haze, and the road is Common Road. The ambitious house with ell, seen on the left, still exists.
The building was constructed for Union area Masons in 1925-26 on the site of a similar building that burned in 1925. The Masonic rooms were above commercial rental space.
Union’s Common, now on the National Register of Historic Places, once had a grove of elm trees. They have long since been replaced by maple and other species.
This power plant, owned and operated by the Vinalhaven Light and Power Company, began operation in 1914.
Vinalhaven had, at one time, eleven school districts. In 1896, district #4 closed and was relocated to the newly built Washington School.
In 1887 Vinalhaven’s first “public library” became a reality, thanks to the generosity of the Bodwell Granite Company, which leased a room, and the granite workers themselves, who donated $118 toward the cost of books and supplies.
Looking east across Vinalhaven’s harbor one can see in the distance the buildings owned and operated by the Lane-Libby Fisheries Company.
This image of downtown Vinalhaven can be easily dated, as the first telephone service was established in 1895 and gas lights came to Main Street in 1903.
Little is known about The Hermitage, but its location is on the western side of the island on Long Cove.
Lifesaver Cabins advertised, “Everything for your comfort – Electric lights, city running water, Lunchroom, short orders and refreshments.
The first building on the right was a restaurant, called The Mill Syde when this photograph was taken. It survived until the 1960s, when it was demolished.
The corner of the building on the right is part of the Warren Hotel. The large three-story is the original Odd Fellows building.
This picture was taken looking west on Main Street. The first building on the right is on the corner of Union and Main Streets.
This picture was taken from in front of the present library in Warren, looking east toward the Georges River. Hotel Warren was built by Col. Thatcher and run by Seth Weatherbee.
The Warren Shoe Manufacturing Co. building was moved from Rockland to Warren on the Four Rod Road in 1871.
This view is of Washington Village looking north. At the junction the road goes north toward Liberty to the left and right on the Old Union Road to Union.