Camden harbor today, crowded with pleasure boats, is a far cry from this tranquil 1920s scene showing a schooner yacht, yawl, and three luxury steam yachts moored off Sherman’s Point.
The Haskells were early Deer Isle settlers. In 1793 Ignatius, owner of a sailing loft and shipbuilding business, built a house that would remain in the Haskell family until 1942.
The Avalon Casino and cottages were located at the foot of Tyler’s Hill on Joyces Point, near the steamboat wharf. It was a popular dance hall between 1912 and 1917 in the days when casinos were places for entertainment without gambling.
The Mountain Ash Inn operated from the 1920s to the 1950s. Miss Lennamon, who owned the inn, had cottages built behind the inn for many of her friends
The Firs was a quiet vacation destination that opened in 1901 on 60 acres on Sylvester Cove Road in Sunset on Deer Isle. It could accommodate 100 guests in a renovated farmhouse
When Americans took to the road in their automobiles for vacations in the 1920s, overnight camps sprang up. They offered a place to pitch a tent and park the car
The Second Empire style Hotel Rockland was built in 1870. It was located on Main Street, at the foot of Park Street, overlooking Rockland Harbor
This c. 1915 photo of Monhegan Island shows the steamer May Archer at the dock below the Island House hotel. The large white building to the left is the original Monhegan House
Comfortable, modern travel trailers allowed campers to take some of the amenities of home on the road and offered the flexibility of vacationing in different places.
On May 18, 1909 a crowd of 2000 people gathered at the bunting-draped 1888 Eastern Steamship Company wharf in Belfast to await the arrival and christening of the new steamship Belfast
These girls, wearing their Sunday camp uniforms, pose at Camp Tanglewood on a summer day in the 1940s. They were attending the summer camp that the Bangor-Brewer YWCA ran from 1939 to 1972.
In the 1930s Castine was a busy town with four grocery stores, hardware and drug stores, dry goods and shoe stores, an undertaker, a hospital, and the Eastern State Normal School, which trained teachers.
Members of the Weld family from Massachusetts were among North Haven Island’s early “rusticators.” Dr. Charles G. Weld, a Boston physician and philanthropist, purchased Iron Point