Today there is no evidence remaining of the Winterport ferry which served the community in the years before the advent of autos and the construction of the bridge over the Penobscot at Prospect. The earliest ferry was a dugout propelled by paddles.
Charles C. Moody (1865 – 1948) had a dry goods store located on the west side of Main Street in the lower end of town. He carried a wide variety of goods, for in the days before automobiles, people shopped locally.
Established in 1903, this 25-acre camp was located on Unity Pond’s eastern shore. Purported to develop “worthy character” in the boys, as well as making them “sound and vigorous of body and mind”,
The Nickerson and Damn store and post office, now known as Swan Lake Grocery, is located at the foot of Swan Lake. The brick used to build it was made at the Nickerson Brickyard located just south of the store, one of a number of brickyards in Swanville in the 1800s.
Since the Penobscot River often froze in winter and prevented ships from getting to and from Bangor to pick up and deliver products, the railroads sought a port that could be accessed in the winter.
Downtown Stockton Springs looking to the east, showing all the buildings before any tearing down was done. Mate LaFurley’s store was in what was called the Denslow Block, with a dance hall upstairs that was also used for meetings, etc.
Originally built in 1831, the Searsport House was one of the best hotels to be found outside the larger cities, according to the Industrial Journal, December, 1909. The original building was occupied as a private dwelling until 1835, when it was converted into a hotel.
For just over 100 years this impressive building has stood on the corner of Mortland Road and Union Street in Searsport. At a special Town Meeting held on October 8, 1908, the heirs of Captain George A. Carver proposed a gift to the town, a new public library, fulfilling a long held wish of Capt.(…)
This image shows the colonial mansion of Sidney M. Webber, which was formerly owned by Captain Phineas Pendleton, after it was severely damaged during the Searsport “Sunday Cyclone,” May 22, 1921. The force of the storm moved the home eight feet on its foundation, and the interior was ruined by the shifting of the walls.
In 1888, the original building at this site burned and a new three story building was erected named “Dirigo Hall.” The first building served as a general store owned by various merchants.
Prospect, Maine: Prospect’s Ferry Store and Post Office stood on the wharf at the Prospect Ferry Landing at the river’s edge of the Ferry Road near Fort Knox. Albert Harriman operated the country style store which offered grain, groceries, yard goods, penny candy, and cracker and pork barrels.
This interior view of the Auditorium at Northport Wesleyan Grove Campmeeting was greeted with “oohs” and “ahs” when first shown by Kevin Johnson to a 21st century gathering of Baysiders! Built in 1893 to replace the outdoor stand and seating, the Auditorium, which measured 64 feet square, became a focus for life on the campground.
Built in 1869 by Isaac Cunningham, a farmer from Union, Pioneer Cottage was reported by The Republican Journal (1879) to be the first private dwelling erected at Northport Wesleyan Grove Campmeeting which was founded in 1849.
Edmund “Burke” Elwell was born in Northport where he lived all of his life. He operated the corner grocery store and Post Office at Saturday Cove for 43 years, from about 1877 to 1920. Elwell was also the Postmaster of Northport.
This view is of Main Street in Morrill looking north toward Bangor, also known today as Rt. 131. The two buildings on the right and left in the foreground were mills that sat on the mill stream that connects the Smith Mill Pond and the Passagassawakeag River.
The Kingdom is one of the early settlements in Montville and was once pronounced Muskingum. The Kingdom was once the center of activity that had a series of mills, a hatter shop, a tannery, school and stores.