This photo shows a small section of Cony Park in the mid 1930s. The park was between Broad Cove and Deep Cove at the entrance to Shackford Head.
This 1936 photo shows the buildings constructed as temporary housing for the clerks, engineers, draftsmen, technicians, and laborers building the Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project, the world’s largest tidal dam. The site was originally the George Rice farm, on the Old Toll Bridge Road and Route 190.
In 1901 Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ball of Andover, Massachusetts, purchased the “White House,” a former boarding house for tannery workers and fishermen, and established one of the first sporting camps in Grand Lake Stream. Under Stephen Yates’ ownership, prior to and after the tannery went bankrupt in 1898, the “White House” catered to sportsmen.
Coffins were among Harrington’s earliest settlers, and several generations contributed significantly to the development and industry of the town.
Timber was plentiful along the Chandler River when the first settlers arrived. In 1763 or 1764 Judah Chandler built a sawmill on the north side of river, on the dam where where other sawmills were later erected. Over time Jonesboro mills produced lumber, staves, shingles and box shooks (parts for unassembled boxes).
This 1920s’ photo shows Mansfield’s Sardine Factory in the center; it was taken from the south side of Sawyer’s Cove at the campground also known as Henry’s Point.
Brothers Daniel James Sawyer and Edward Mansfield Sawyer had this building constructed on Sawyer’s Square in 1896 at a cost of $2485. It replaced their original store, which was located where the present Jonesport Marina Building is.
Sardine canneries lined Lubec’s wharves in the early 1900s. They operated day and night, employing hundreds of workers of all ages. Each cannery fabricated its own sardine cans until 1908, when the American Can Company opened and began manufacturing the cans.
In 1885 Edward P. Lawrence built a fine Queen Anne style house on North Lubec Road overlooking Johnson Bay, and his brother Elias followed suit in 1900. They were the sons of Moses P. Lawrence, who with two partners opened the Lubec Packing Company in 1881.
The Calkins family, originally from Wales then Nova Scotia, settled in the Lubec region about 1830. Some became landholders
No record can be found on the Cruiser Pauline. Behind the boat is part of the extensive wharf that lined the bank of the Machias River.
This c. 1920 photo of Main Street in Machias shows a busy downtown. Although the horse watering trough still stands at the intersection, automobiles dominate the commercial district.
In 1860, Mathew Clare purchased a large double house on Court Street beside the County Jail. He soon remodeled the building into a hotel, which he opened as “Clare’s Hotel.”
Although a fire in had destroyed 14 structures along the Machiasport waterfront in 1893, it was again a busy place about 1910, when this photo was taken. The large building on the left, next to the schooner at the Stuart Boatyard, is the W. S. Cates clam factory.