The Arcade was built in 1926 along Route 1 and owned by R.K. Dennison of East Machias. This popular destination attracted locals and tourists alike.
Sometime after the turn of the last century, Charlie Stone built a resort on the west shore of Meddybemps Lake. It catered to “sports” from away who were attracted to the lake’s good fishing and hunting.
The Atlantic House was a public rooming house for travelers. The door to the far right led to a bar open to the public. There have been many owners
The Long Bridge spans the Narraguagus River and joins the east side of Milbridge with the west side. It is one of two Milbridge bridges. The younger people would jump
Over the years the village of Pembroke, on the west bank of the Pennamaquon River, had developed as a trading center and assumed the appearance
No longer standing, the schoolhouse was part of the “English Village” constructed by the Pembroke Ironworks Co. for its English employees, who immigrated to work in the mill. In addition to the school,
Located on the Shore Road, just west of the Perry Congregational Church, the building on the left was originally a Methodist Church and in later years housed J.T. Gove and Sons Store, owned by Justin Gove, who lived across the road.
This hotel is the Princeton House, which had a long history of providing lodging. It was built by Putham Rolfe in the early 1800s. Peter Carle purchased the Princeton House in 1839
Neil E. McCannell was an enterprising Princeton businessman. In addition to his Main Street store, pictured above in 1927, he manufactured and distributed his patented Soda-Licious beverages,
In 1903 Princeton’s first metal bridge across the stream between the lakes, known locally as the “flowage,” was built, replacing the 1893 log bridge. It was reinforced with concrete in 1939. In 2012 the Princeton Bridge was rebuilt
Grace Chapel is a classic example of a 19th-century rural American church. It was built in1882 by Rev. Peter Henry Steenstra. A longtime summer resident of Robbinston,
The Roque Bluffs Baptist Church was dedicated July 23, 1902. Fundraising for its construction was done by the Ladies Improvement Society, organized in February 1893. In the beginning
The “Willows” was an old home adjacent to the Wharf Road. Built in 1785 by Dr. Ebenezer Handy, it was considered the oldest home in Steuben before it was destroyed by fire.
This two-masted cargo ship is docked at the head of Steuben Bay. Nearby was the Dutton Mill, built in 1895 along the Tunk Stream
In the 1920s Daniel Lane operated a general store on his property next to the Lane Hotel. The store is on the right, with the barn between it and the hotel.
The house on the right is one of the oldest houses in Waite, built by Ed Ripley in the 19th century. The home on the left, owned and occupied by Earl and Ada Ripley, was destroyed by fire in 1932. The fire was