This c. 1910 image shows the mill pond on the Orange River with the road to Lubec (Route 189) in the foreground. The building facing the road was a private home, which is now gone.
This broad view from the Monaghan Hill on Canal Road looks south across the Machias River. The wooden structure is the remnants of the dam that supplied power to the original Sullivan lumber mill,
In 1907 and only two years from the time Woodland was a forested, largely uninhabited wilderness, Charles Murray, an immigrant from Italy, built the Woodland Opera House to provide the then boom town a venue for entertainment.
About 1900 Sprague’s Falls on the St. Croix River, five miles north of Baring, was identified as an ideal location for a dam and a paper mill by a consortium of businessmen. The St. Croix Paper Company was formed