Neil E. McCannell was an enterprising Princeton businessman. In addition to his Main Street store, he manufactured and distributed his patented Soda-Licious beverages,
In 1903 Princeton’s first metal bridge across the stream between the lakes, known locally as the “flowage,” was built, replacing the 1893 log bridge. It was reinforced with concrete in 1939. In 2012 the Princeton Bridge was rebuilt
Grace Chapel is a classic example of a 19th-century rural American church. It was built in1882 by Rev. Peter Henry Steenstra. A longtime summer resident of Robbinston,
The Roque Bluffs Baptist Church was dedicated July 23, 1902. Fundraising for its construction was done by the Ladies Improvement Society, organized in February 1893. In the beginning
The “Willows” was an old home adjacent to the Wharf Road. Built in 1785 by Dr. Ebenezer Handy, it was considered the oldest home in Steuben before it was destroyed by fire.
This two-masted cargo ship is docked at the head of Steuben Bay. Nearby was the Dutton Mill, built in 1895 along the Tunk Stream
In the 1920s Daniel Lane operated a general store on his property next to the Lane Hotel. The store is on the right, with the barn between it and the hotel.
The house on the right is one of the oldest houses in Waite, built by Ed Ripley in the 19th century. The home on the left, owned and occupied by Earl and Ada Ripley, was destroyed by fire in 1932. The fire was
This c. 1910 image shows the mill pond on the Orange River with the road to Lubec (Route 189) in the foreground. The building facing the road was a private home, which is now gone.
This broad view from the Monaghan Hill on Canal Road looks south across the Machias River. The wooden structure is the remnants of the dam that supplied power to the original Sullivan lumber mill,