May 19, 1936 is launching day for the Gov. Brann, a 65’ double-ended, wooden-hulled ferry. She’s symmetrical, with a propeller and rudder (with ice guard) at each end, and ran equally well in either direction. Less than a year later, after her 6-car capacity proved insufficient, the Gov. Brann was cut in half and lengthened about 20 feet.
Fred Cook of Bath drew the plans and Albert Condon was the master builder. From keel laying to launching took only four months. Her main engine was a single 160hp Fairbanks-Morse diesel fitted to drive either propeller.