The Fales Store on River Road, owned by the Fales family of Cushing, was founded in 1828. It still stands and was until this year the oldest continually owned grocery store in America. The store, which was originally located at Pleasant Point Harbor, moved to the present location many years ago. Since Cushing has no real geographic point that can be called the center of town, the Fales Store became the de facto town center, and much town business was thrashed out in an intimate circle around the cash register.
Cushing Historical Society