This view is just west of the Common between the ‘”green” and the entrance to the Union Fairgrounds. The area is called Sunk Haze, one of two such-named places in Maine. The road is Common Road. The bridge spans the St. George River; this iron one washed away in 1938 and was replaced by a concrete bridge about 125 feet to the viewer’s left. The large building on the right was the Fossett Store, which is now empty. The building on the left nearest the bridge (gable end showing) was once the Union Flour Mill and still stands. It was run by William Bessey, E. A. Matthews, and Mervin Merrill, each using it differently. The tidy cape-style house on the rise remains a residence.
Dave & Suzy Shaub
Union Historical Society