Waiting Station, Oakland Park, Me This picture shows the waiting station at Oakland Park in Rockport for the Rockland, Thomaston and Camden railway or trolley system that ran from 1892 to 1931.
Posts by :
Summer guests are playing croquet on the west lawn of the Samoset Hotel in the early part of the twentieth century.
The Second Empire style Hotel Rockland, located on Main Street at the foot of Park Street, was built in 1870. Originally named the Lynde Hotel, it was renamed the St. Nicholas Hotel in 1880.
Originally called Sea Street, Tillson Avenue stretches east to the many wharfs on Crockett’s Point, which reaches into Owl’s Head Bay.
This large Greek Revival house on Maple Street in Rockland was built for the Reverend Samuel C. Fessenden, the first pastor of the Rockland Congregational Church.
The Arthur McMullen Granite Works was located at the head of South Cove, off of Main Street in Rockland’s South End.
The Williams Quarry on Old County Road in Rockland, near the Thomaston border, was the deepest quarry in the world. It was 400 feet deep, almost 40 stories down.
General Davis Tillson, the wealthy owner of the Hurricane Granite Co., built Tillson’s Wharf at the end of Sea Street in 1881.
Alfred Mullett, the well known architect for the U.S. Treasury Department, designed the Second Empire Post Office and Customs House for Rockland in 1873.
The P. K. Reed family operated this wharf for about 80 years, serving local fishermen and other mariners.
Protected by a headland and Monroe and Sheep Islands, Owl’s Head has long been a safe haven for mariners with the earliest natives making their summer hunting and fishing camps here.
Fred Smith bought a 40-acre farm with 800 feet of shore frontage on Crescent Beach in Owls Head, building an open dancing pavilion in1895 where he also served fish chowders.
The wharf was built shortly after July 7, 1896 when Fred Smith purchased a fairly large tract of land and soon began construction of the wharf extending into Mussel Ridge Channel.
The Ash Point Post Office followed a common pattern in early years, also serving as the Ash Point Store. The consensus is that when this picture was taken, the store was operated by Lottie Crockett Perry Robbins and her husband Arthur.
Built in the 1890s in Ash Point by Alvin Harvey Hurd, this home became Otis Villa when it was opened as a boarding home around 1908 by Alvin and his wife May.
This building, pictured about 1910, began life in 1888 as the Simpson House, a hotel with a deep-water wharf for steamships. The three‑story building with a commanding view from the tower had ten bedrooms, a parlor, a reading room and a dining room that could seat 100 people.