This photograph is of Ashmere, Charles Weeks’ early 19th-century home. It was described in an article appearing in the Courier Gazette of Rockland, Maine:
Posts by :
This photograph of Sleepville, off Iron Point Road, was taken circa 1920. On the far left is the home that belonged to Perce and Marion (Thayer) Crockett. In 1907, Perce and Marion moved to Sleepyville from Crockett’s River on Vinalhaven.
In need of a ferryboat after World War II, North Haven residents acquired this vessel and Captain Neal Burgess and his crew traveled to New York to fetch the boat.
Some people maintain that it is easier to get to the mainland, 12 miles away, than it is to get across the Thoroughfare to Vinalhaven! Nonetheless, there have been attempts over the years to make that passage easier.
The large summer home at the far right of this photo was built in 1898 by Dr. Charles G. Weld, one of the early “rusticators” on North Haven Island.
This photograph is taken from a high point on Kents Hill and looks east toward the downtown village of North Haven.
In this photograph the viewer is located up on the outer edge of Kents’ Hill looking east toward the downtown waterfront of North Haven. Although it is difficult to date the photograph exactly, a two-masted schooner can be seen tied up to the dock.
In the early 19th century, North Haven island became a destination for wealthy Bostonians. Calling themselves the “rusticators”, the summer visitors built large vacation homes along the island’s shores.
This photograph shows the dock at Head Harbor and Gooden Grant’s workshop with his boat healed over for cleaning. The white door on the right is where Gooden stored bait.
The two old salts are Gooden Grant and Minot Conary. They are shown on the dock at Head Harbor getting traps ready to set.
This photograph shows road construction in front of the Fiske House Inn. The Rockland to Augusta Road in South Hope was being rebuilt to serve as a State Highway (now Route 17).
Shown here are the original buildings of Alford Lake Camp, the girls’ camp on the eastern shore of Alford Lake, on the Alford Lake Road.
The Mill Pond in the photograph, south of Route 17 at South Hope, is no longer visible. The dam, like so many, washed out long ago, and the course of its source, Quiggle Brook, is now obscured by trees.
The General Store at Hope Corner has been in operation for about 165 years at this location. During that time it has been known by the names of its various owners–True, Smith, Ludwig, and Weaver, among them.
The water tower was located on Harbor Road just about where Cottage Road is now. It was built in 1925 by Elmer E. Jameson and supplied water to the town.
The group of men are building a sidewalk circa 1913. The Advent Parsonage and the Baptist Church Steeple are on the left, and the Methodist Church is on the right.