Liberty, Maine was settled in the 1790s and was incorporated in 1827. Viewed from Haystack Mountain toward the present day Pinnacle Road (Route 220 South), the St. George River begins at the dam under Pinnacle Road.
Posts by Matt Wheeler:
“Gripsholm,” originally known as “Coombs Bluff,” was built for George W.C. Drexel of Philadelphia in 1903-04 on a 160 acre site overlooking Sabbathday Harbor.
The Town Hall was built in 1894 for $4,000 on the site of the former First Baptist Meeting House and has served many purposes over the years. The Masonic Lodge next to it was built in 1905. In 1904, the State of Maine passed a law requiring consolidation of high schools in jurisdictions like Islesboro.
The mill yard buildings on the left belonged to the Freedom Lumber Company, which had purchased the mill (not seen in this photo) in 1907. The mill was originally built in 1834 by John True to be used as a grist mill.
This is the second incarnation of the Mt. Waldo Granite Company which sat on the shore of the Penobscot River on what is now Rt. 1A. The Mt. Waldo quarry officially opened in 1853 and in 1880, the business Mt. Waldo Granite Works was incorporated.
Burnham is on the outermost northern boundary of Waldo County. It is eight miles in length north to south, and the same east and west. An agricultural town, Burnham was originally called Twenty-five Mile Pond Plantation and was incorporated in 1824.
Passenger rail service first came to Brooks on November 1, 1870. Regular service ran from Belfast to Burnham and in 1874, the total number of passengers carried was 17,244.
Rising like the phoenix from the ashes, the Colonial Theatre was rebuilt in 1924 following the fire which destroyed the original theater built in 1912. In addition to showing movies, popular entertainments included stage shows, lectures, boxing matches, bathing beauty contests and “get rich quick nights.”
The Puddle Dock, Dock Square, Sandy Beach are all names used through the years to describe the harbor front land just south of the bridge. It was originally used for dockage purposes, the water being let in by a sluiceway at high tide.
In 1892, Edgar F. Hanson built his lavish mansion, Colonia Villa, on Northport Avenue, opposite what is now City Park. He was a newspaper and magazine publisher, general manager of Dana Sarsaparilla, and ten-term mayor.