This c. 1915 photo of Monhegan Island shows the steamer May Archer at the dock below the Island House hotel. The large white building to the left is the original Monhegan House
Posts by Matt Wheeler:
Comfortable, modern travel trailers allowed campers to take some of the amenities of home on the road and offered the flexibility of vacationing in different places.
On May 18, 1909 a crowd of 2000 people gathered at the bunting-draped 1888 Eastern Steamship Company wharf in Belfast to await the arrival and christening of the new steamship Belfast
These girls, wearing their Sunday camp uniforms, pose at Camp Tanglewood on a summer day in the 1940s. They were attending the summer camp that the Bangor-Brewer YWCA ran from 1939 to 1972.
In the 1930s Castine was a busy town with four grocery stores, hardware and drug stores, dry goods and shoe stores, an undertaker, a hospital, and the Eastern State Normal School, which trained teachers.
Members of the Weld family from Massachusetts were among North Haven Island’s early “rusticators.” Dr. Charles G. Weld, a Boston physician and philanthropist, purchased Iron Point
This two-masted cargo ship is docked at the head of Steuben Bay. Nearby was the Dutton Mill, built in 1895 along the Tunk Stream
This c. 1910 view from Gilman’s Point shows Cutler’s wharfs. At the time the inner harbor was a busy place, with canneries, warehouses, and wharves
The Long Bridge spans the Narraguagus River and joins the east side of Milbridge with the west side. It is one of two Milbridge bridges. The younger people would jump
The Calkins family, originally from Wales then Nova Scotia, settled in the Lubec region about 1830. Some became landholders