The Calkins family, originally from Wales then Nova Scotia, settled in the Lubec region about 1830. Some became landholders
Posts by Matt Wheeler:
This store was built about 1925 by Guy Herrick Carver, Sr. It burned in 1930 as a result of an electrical fire.
This Queen Anne style house was built about 1880 for Henry H. Bowles by noted Cherryfield architect and builder Charles Allen. It stood out
No record can be found on the Cruiser Pauline. Behind the boat is part of the extensive wharf that lined the bank of the Machias River.
Over the years the village of Pembroke, on the west bank of the Pennamaquon River, had developed as a trading center and assumed the appearance
The majestic Union Hall came into being due to the hard work and planning of the Union Hall Corporation. It was completed in 1888.
In 1870 Elder Josiah Ells, a missionary from the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints, came to Jonesport from Pennsylvania. He baptized five local people
This hotel is the Princeton House, which had a long history of providing lodging. It was built by Putham Rolfe in the early 1800s. Peter Carle purchased the Princeton House in 1839
Neil E. McCannell was an enterprising Princeton businessman. In addition to his Main Street store, pictured above in 1927, he manufactured and distributed his patented Soda-Licious beverages,
This 1920s’ photo shows Mansfield’s Sardine Factory in the center; it was taken from the south side of Sawyer’s Cove at the campground also known as Henry’s Point.
In 1936, Islesboro got a new ferry, the GOV. BRANN. It would be Penobscot Bay’s first purpose designed car ferry.
Bridge construction began in 1937; this is probably the summer of 1938, taken from the Deer Isle side.
About 1900 Sprague’s Falls on the St. Croix River, five miles north of Baring, was identified as an ideal location for a dam and a paper mill by a consortium of businessmen. The St. Croix Paper Company was formed
In 1907 and only two years from the time Woodland was a forested, largely uninhabited wilderness, Charles Murray, an immigrant from Italy, built the Woodland Opera House to provide the then boom town a venue for entertainment.
This broad view from the Monaghan Hill on Canal Road looks south across the Machias River. The wooden structure is the remnants of the dam that supplied power to the original Sullivan lumber mill,
This c. 1910 image shows the mill pond on the Orange River with the road to Lubec (Route 189) in the foreground. The building facing the road was a private home, which is now gone.