Members of the Weld family from Massachusetts were among North Haven Island’s early “rusticators.” Dr. Charles G. Weld, a Boston physician and philanthropist, purchased Iron Point
Posts by Matt Wheeler:
This two-masted cargo ship is docked at the head of Steuben Bay. Nearby was the Dutton Mill, built in 1895 along the Tunk Stream
This c. 1910 view from Gilman’s Point shows Cutler’s wharfs. At the time the inner harbor was a busy place, with canneries, warehouses, and wharves
The Long Bridge spans the Narraguagus River and joins the east side of Milbridge with the west side. It is one of two Milbridge bridges. The younger people would jump
The Calkins family, originally from Wales then Nova Scotia, settled in the Lubec region about 1830. Some became landholders
This store was built about 1925 by Guy Herrick Carver, Sr. It burned in 1930 as a result of an electrical fire.
This Queen Anne style house was built about 1880 for Henry H. Bowles by noted Cherryfield architect and builder Charles Allen. It stood out
No record can be found on the Cruiser Pauline. Behind the boat is part of the extensive wharf that lined the bank of the Machias River.
Over the years the village of Pembroke, on the west bank of the Pennamaquon River, had developed as a trading center and assumed the appearance
The majestic Union Hall came into being due to the hard work and planning of the Union Hall Corporation. It was completed in 1888.
In 1870 Elder Josiah Ells, a missionary from the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints, came to Jonesport from Pennsylvania. He baptized five local people
This hotel is the Princeton House, which had a long history of providing lodging. It was built by Putham Rolfe in the early 1800s. Peter Carle purchased the Princeton House in 1839
Neil E. McCannell was an enterprising Princeton businessman. In addition to his Main Street store, pictured above in 1927, he manufactured and distributed his patented Soda-Licious beverages,
This 1920s’ photo shows Mansfield’s Sardine Factory in the center; it was taken from the south side of Sawyer’s Cove at the campground also known as Henry’s Point.
In 1936, Islesboro got a new ferry, the GOV. BRANN. It would be Penobscot Bay’s first purpose designed car ferry.
Bridge construction began in 1937; this is probably the summer of 1938, taken from the Deer Isle side.