The Arcade was built in 1926 along Route 1 and owned by R.K. Dennison of East Machias. This popular destination attracted locals and tourists alike.
Posts by Matt Wheeler:
Although a fire in had destroyed 14 structures along the Machiasport waterfront in 1893, it was again a busy place about 1910, when this photo was taken. The large building on the left, next to the schooner at the Stuart Boatyard, is the W. S. Cates clam factory.
This c. 1920 photo of Main Street in Machias shows a busy downtown. Although the horse watering trough still stands at the intersection, automobiles dominate the commercial district.
In 1860, Mathew Clare purchased a large double house on Court Street beside the County Jail. He soon remodeled the building into a hotel, which he opened as “Clare’s Hotel.”
In 1885 Edward P. Lawrence built a fine Queen Anne style house on North Lubec Road overlooking Johnson Bay, and his brother Elias followed suit in 1900. They were the sons of Moses P. Lawrence, who with two partners opened the Lubec Packing Company in 1881.
Sardine canneries lined Lubec’s wharves in the early 1900s. They operated day and night, employing hundreds of workers of all ages. Each cannery fabricated its own sardine cans until 1908, when the American Can Company opened and began manufacturing the cans.
Brothers Daniel James Sawyer and Edward Mansfield Sawyer had this building constructed on Sawyer’s Square in 1896 at a cost of $2485. It replaced their original store, which was located where the present Jonesport Marina Building is.
Timber was plentiful along the Chandler River when the first settlers arrived. In 1763 or 1764 Judah Chandler built a sawmill on the north side of river, on the dam where where other sawmills were later erected. Over time Jonesboro mills produced lumber, staves, shingles and box shooks (parts for unassembled boxes).
Coffins were among Harrington’s earliest settlers, and several generations contributed significantly to the development and industry of the town.
In 1901 Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ball of Andover, Massachusetts, purchased the “White House,” a former boarding house for tannery workers and fishermen, and established one of the first sporting camps in Grand Lake Stream. Under Stephen Yates’ ownership, prior to and after the tannery went bankrupt in 1898, the “White House” catered to sportsmen.
This 1936 photo shows the buildings constructed as temporary housing for the clerks, engineers, draftsmen, technicians, and laborers building the Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project, the world’s largest tidal dam. The site was originally the George Rice farm, on the Old Toll Bridge Road and Route 190.
This photo shows a small section of Cony Park in the mid 1930s. The park was between Broad Cove and Deep Cove at the entrance to Shackford Head.
The Pushee Brothers shipyard operated from 1890 to about 1930 at Hinckley Shore in Dennysville. It built renowned four-masted schooners, Passamaquoddy Bay ferries, lobster smacks, and pleasure boats.
The Danforth Garage was located on Depot Street between the Mark Lodge residence (first known as a boarding house of William Foss) and the residence of Mancil Gillis on the left. The building was covered with metal, which was a rarity in this woods town.
This c. 1910 view of Cutler’s inner harbor was taken from Eastern Nubble. Facing seaward is Lookout Hill, used by St. John, New Brunswick pilots to spot incoming ships.