Brothers Daniel James Sawyer and Edward Mansfield Sawyer had this building constructed on Sawyer’s Square in 1896 at a cost of $2485. It replaced their original store, which was located where the present Jonesport Marina Building is.
About Matt Wheeler
Posts by Matt Wheeler:
Timber was plentiful along the Chandler River when the first settlers arrived. In 1763 or 1764 Judah Chandler built a sawmill on the north side of river, on the dam where where other sawmills were later erected. Over time Jonesboro mills produced lumber, staves, shingles and box shooks (parts for unassembled boxes).
Coffins were among Harrington’s earliest settlers, and several generations contributed significantly to the development and industry of the town.
In 1901 Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ball of Andover, Massachusetts, purchased the “White House,” a former boarding house for tannery workers and fishermen, and established one of the first sporting camps in Grand Lake Stream. Under Stephen Yates’ ownership, prior to and after the tannery went bankrupt in 1898, the “White House” catered to sportsmen.
This 1936 photo shows the buildings constructed as temporary housing for the clerks, engineers, draftsmen, technicians, and laborers building the Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project, the world’s largest tidal dam. The site was originally the George Rice farm, on the Old Toll Bridge Road and Route 190.
This photo shows a small section of Cony Park in the mid 1930s. The park was between Broad Cove and Deep Cove at the entrance to Shackford Head.
The Pushee Brothers shipyard operated from 1890 to about 1930 at Hinckley Shore in Dennysville. It built renowned four-masted schooners, Passamaquoddy Bay ferries, lobster smacks, and pleasure boats.
The Danforth Garage was located on Depot Street between the Mark Lodge residence (first known as a boarding house of William Foss) and the residence of Mancil Gillis on the left. The building was covered with metal, which was a rarity in this woods town.
This c. 1910 view of Cutler’s inner harbor was taken from Eastern Nubble. Facing seaward is Lookout Hill, used by St. John, New Brunswick pilots to spot incoming ships.
[see previous image, Ruggles House, Columbia Falls,, Me. 7T., Catalog Number LB2007.1.100420] Catalog Number LB2007.1.100423
When Thomas Ruggles’ new Federal style house was completed in 1820, it was praised as one of the most exquisite homes in Maine. After coming to Maine from Rochester, Massachusetts, in the late 1790s to claim a land grant,
When lumber was king in Cherryfield, the banks of the Narragaugus River were thick with lumber awaiting shipment. In the decades after the Civil War, local mills produced 12 to 15 million board feet of lumber a year as well as other wood products.
In this c. 1910 photo taken from the St. Stephen shore, a steamship, possibly the Henry Eaton, is docked at the upper landing in Calais. The Calais end of the international bridge can be seen to the far right. Steamships made daily round trips from Calais to Robbinston, St. Andrews and Eastport.
This store served the Bucks Harbor community for several decades as a business and community gathering place. It was originally the Ames Store. Supplies for the store arrived on boats and were brought up by wagon to the store.
The large home in this c. 1910 photo was built by Freeman Willis “Will” Beal and his wife Elizabeth Maria “Lizzie” (Alley) Beal in the mid 1880s. They were married on December 1, 1884. “Will” was the fifth child of Barnabas Coffin “Tall Barney” Beal and Phebe Ann (Stanwood) Beal.
The Granville Chase Store was the company store of the Chase sawmill enterprises in Baring, Maine. As with many general stores of its time, it doubled as the local post office.