In 1888, the original building at this site burned and a new three story building was erected named “Dirigo Hall.” The first building served as a general store owned by various merchants.
Posts by Matt Wheeler:
Prospect, Maine: Prospect’s Ferry Store and Post Office stood on the wharf at the Prospect Ferry Landing at the river’s edge of the Ferry Road near Fort Knox. Albert Harriman operated the country style store which offered grain, groceries, yard goods, penny candy, and cracker and pork barrels.
This interior view of the Auditorium at Northport Wesleyan Grove Campmeeting was greeted with “oohs” and “ahs” when first shown by Kevin Johnson to a 21st century gathering of Baysiders! Built in 1893 to replace the outdoor stand and seating, the Auditorium, which measured 64 feet square, became a focus for life on the campground.
Built in 1869 by Isaac Cunningham, a farmer from Union, Pioneer Cottage was reported by The Republican Journal (1879) to be the first private dwelling erected at Northport Wesleyan Grove Campmeeting which was founded in 1849.
Edmund “Burke” Elwell was born in Northport where he lived all of his life. He operated the corner grocery store and Post Office at Saturday Cove for 43 years, from about 1877 to 1920. Elwell was also the Postmaster of Northport.
This view is of Main Street in Morrill looking north toward Bangor, also known today as Rt. 131. The two buildings on the right and left in the foreground were mills that sat on the mill stream that connects the Smith Mill Pond and the Passagassawakeag River.
The Kingdom is one of the early settlements in Montville and was once pronounced Muskingum. The Kingdom was once the center of activity that had a series of mills, a hatter shop, a tannery, school and stores.
Opened in 1919 on West Main Street (Route 139) in the heart of Monroe Village, Littlefield’s Garage was long a familiar landmark for folks driving from Winterport to Brooks through Monroe.
This photo of N.D. Ross’ store in Lincolnville Center depicts a small town on the brink of change. The car, probably a 1910-1912 Ford, is parked next to a granite hitching post.
In 1930, as the effects of the Depression began to be felt, Penobscots Leo and Florence Shay of Indian Island at Old Town set up a tent on a vacant lot at Lincolnville Beach with their three young sons.
This photo was taken at Marshalls Shore at the southwestern end of Lake St. George (also called Georges Lake). The area is still used for recreation and is now a Town Park maintained for the use of Liberty residents for swimming and picnicking.
Liberty, Maine was settled in the 1790s and was incorporated in 1827. Viewed from Haystack Mountain toward the present day Pinnacle Road (Route 220 South), the St. George River begins at the dam under Pinnacle Road.
“Gripsholm,” originally known as “Coombs Bluff,” was built for George W.C. Drexel of Philadelphia in 1903-04 on a 160 acre site overlooking Sabbathday Harbor.
The Town Hall was built in 1894 for $4,000 on the site of the former First Baptist Meeting House and has served many purposes over the years. The Masonic Lodge next to it was built in 1905. In 1904, the State of Maine passed a law requiring consolidation of high schools in jurisdictions like Islesboro.
The mill yard buildings on the left belonged to the Freedom Lumber Company, which had purchased the mill (not seen in this photo) in 1907. The mill was originally built in 1834 by John True to be used as a grist mill.
This is the second incarnation of the Mt. Waldo Granite Company which sat on the shore of the Penobscot River on what is now Rt. 1A. The Mt. Waldo quarry officially opened in 1853 and in 1880, the business Mt. Waldo Granite Works was incorporated.