In 1903 Princeton’s first metal bridge across the stream between the lakes, known locally as the “flowage,” was built, replacing the 1893 log bridge. It was reinforced with concrete in 1939. In 2012 the Princeton Bridge was rebuilt and elevated, connecting Princeton with Indian Township.
The boat in the foreground may be a lumbering bateau, used for log runs. Albert Mercier owned and operated a restaurant in the white square building for many years. The U.S. Peg and Shank Mill is visible on the shore of Lewey Lake beyond the restaurant. The mill was built in 1929. It was owned by Nora Lewis Smith and her father of Brownville, Maine, and was operated by Nora and her husband, Arnold. The company produced wooden ice cream sticks and spoons. Women packed them into bundles of 12 to a package, making $9 a week. Men who operated the saws made $12. When the mill burned about 1940, some local residents stood out in the lake, fearful that the whole town was going to go up in flames.
Caption information provided by Sharon Norman