This bridge at the foot of Wadsworth Street in Thomaston was built from 1925 to 1928 and spans the Georges River, connecting the village to the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood and beyond to Cushing. The raising gear for the drawbridge was removed since this photo, and a solid fixed roadbed replaced the former wood planking. Property owners up the St. George River were asked if they objected to the bridge being fixed down, as it would prohibit the transfer of larger vessels upstream. They were asked to sign papers signifying their agreement.
The bridge, as it appears in the photo, is a combination of two different truss styles. The two outer spans are Pennsylvania truss style, and the center span is a Pratt Pony truss, which had a rolling counterweight bascule (lift) span. In February 1927 the estimated cost to build the bridge was $38,542.50. A steel plaque states the name of the steel fabricator and the year 1928. A steel stringer sidewalk was added in 1991. It is believed the bascule span parts were removed around this time, thus rendering it incapable of opening.
In 2011 the Maine Department of Transportation held a preliminary information meeting on a bridge rehabilitation project of the Wadsworth Street Bridge #2904. In the near future, its appearance may be greatly changed.
The picture was taken from the site of Jeff’s Marine in Thomaston Maine on the west side of the Georges River. The building on the extreme right mid-center is the former Burgess-O’Brien Store, later the Dunn & Elliot Store, and is no longer standing. The house just above and to the left is still standing. Two limestone kilns can be seen over the top of the bridge span, and the wall of the former Thomaston State Prison can be seen on the middle horizon.
Thomaston Historical Society