In the 1930s Castine was a busy town with four grocery stores, hardware and drug stores, dry goods and shoe stores, an undertaker, a hospital, and the Eastern State Normal School, which trained teachers. In the days before Maine Maritime Academy, the Castine Sardine Factory and boatyards dominated the waterfront. There were several hotels, including the Castine House, Pentagoet, and Shetola House, but only one restaurant. “People didn’t eat out much,” recalled a woman who was a child in Castine in the 1930s.
Local families did enjoy outings to the ice cream parlor run by Frank and Lowena Devereux on the North Castine-Penobscot line, however, and summerfolk enjoyed eating out at the Devereux’ lobster pound. Frank Devereux developed a baseball diamond behind the building, which drew large crowds on Sunday. The Devereux family also owned cottages and a picnic area on the shore, from which there was a lovely view across the Bay to Fort Point. According to a 1937 guidebook, the Old Devereux House across from the lobster pound, built in 1788, was a place of interest.