Fort Fairfield thrived in the early 20th century as a result of the boom in Aroostook County potato farming.

In this circa 1915 view, the town’s Main Street features, from left to right, a large livery stable, the Fort Fairfield Exchange Hotel, Ossie Brothers Restaurant, which opened in 1913, and Hose Company No. 3 of the local fire department.

The opportunity for a photograph has attracted hotel guests to gather on the second floor balcony and restaurant patrons to line up on the front steps and in the street.

Catalog Number LB2007.1.100811