Carlton, Norwood & Co. built the magnificent four-masted bark FREDERICK BILLINGS at Rockport in 1885, and Capt. Isaac W. Sherman, a native of Islesboro, skippered her until his retirement in 1890. Sitting high in the water, but with most of her sails bent on, the vessel looks about ready to leave home. Two small schooners loaded with wood for Rockport’s lime kilns are anchored in the foreground.
Catalog Number LB2013.21.391