In 1936, Islesboro got a new ferry, the GOV. BRANN. It would be Penobscot Bay’s first purpose designed car ferry. She could carry eight 15-foot automobiles, which wasn’t enough. After her first season she was cut in half and lengthened 25′ to add increase capacity to 10 cars. That first season she carried 6500 vehicles and 1200 non-vehicle passengers. The automobile age was here, no turning back.