This building, still used as a Grange Hall, was built in 1908. Austin Davis headed the building crew, who hewed the sills by hand. The only new part of the building is the fire escape; it even has the same Grange Hall sign. The St. George Historical Society uses the hall, pleased that a small community could build and maintain such a building for more than 100 years. A Grange Hall in Martinsville is still in use, too.
To the right of the hall, on Route 131, is the school, which housed five grades. Students were dismissed gradually in the afternoon, by grade, after their reading lessons. Thus the youngest had the shortest school day, and the oldest always the longest. After finishing primary grades, students went to school in “the Harbor.” Now St. George secondary school students go to Rockland.
Info provided by James Skoglund