The Arthur McMullen Granite Works was located at the head of South Cove, off of Main Street in Rockland’s South End. Ships brought granite from the quarries on the islands downeast to the Granite Works where the stone was lifted by a derrick at the pier onto a flatcar of an internal railroad. The stone was carried to the large granite shed where it was moved by a tall gantry crane and cut to specifications and finished.
The Granite Works also had a connection to the Maine Central Railroad, shown in the foreground. The finished blocks of granite were hoisted onto railroad cars and hauled to their destinations to build churches and government buildings all over the country.
Arthur McMullen built the Granite Works in 1909. The name of the business changed to the Rockland Granite Company in 1912. The company was gone by 1917, as granite companies on the islands did their own finishing and steel skyscrapers began to supplant stone buildings.
Rockland Historical Society