This photograph is a close up of the east side of Camden Harbor and the inner harbor before it was busy with windjammers and yachts. It was made more attractive after Mary Louis Curtis Bok in the 1930s built the Camden Public Library, the garden theater known today as the Amphitheater, and Harbor Park. The houses on Sea Street are more visible because Wayfarer had not built all its new workshops. A steamship sits at the dock in the upper right. When the first steamboat came to Camden in 1823, residents thought it wasn’t a good idea because it might frighten all the fish. By the 1920s engines had replaced“wind and water” (sailboats) as the cheapest mode of transportation.
Camden Public Library