LaForest P. True’s Canning Factory was founded in 1882. It occupied the site where John Athern’s store originally sat, with Hatchet Mountain beyond. It was taken down in the mid-1900s and replaced by Bill Hardy’s blueberry processing building. The tall pole at the right of the factory is the “Liberty Pole,” installed at the 1904 Hope Centennial. Note the town pump visible to the right of the Liberty Pole.
Hatchet Mountain, in stories from the early years of the town, has been known as the location where two warring tribes in 1617 buried a tomahawk in solemnizing a peace treaty, giving rise to the phrase, “bury the hatchet.” The road to the left is Hatchet Mountain Road, ascending the lower slopes of the mountain. The road to the right and in the foreground was the Camden – Montville Post Road, laid out in 1819 and now known as the Camden Road or Route 105.
Hope Historical Society
Ref. Anna Hardy’s History of Hope