The Second Empire style Hotel Rockland, located on Main Street at the foot of Park Street, was built in 1870. Originally named the Lynde Hotel, it was renamed the St. Nicholas Hotel in 1880. David N. Bird and Joseph A. Nutter were the proprietors in the 1880s and 1890s. It became the Rockland Hotel around 1917 and the Hotel Rockland soon after. Frank Donohue was the proprietor through the 1930s.
The Hotel Rockland, with its 75 rooms, its moderate rates, its excellent food, and the “Most Beautiful Cocktail Lounge on the Coast of Maine,” overlooked Rockland Harbor from the rear. It was a popular spot for out-of-town businessmen and local organizations. In 1948 the movie stars making the film “Deep Waters” stayed at the Hotel Rockland. Several local children had lunch with young Dean Stockwell, Cesar Romero, and Jean Peters.
The Hotel Rockland burned to the ground in the devastating fire of December 12, 1952.
Rockland Historical Society