In 1870 Elder Josiah Ells, a missionary from the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints, came to Jonesport from Pennsylvania. He baptized five local people; other missionaries subsequently visited and baptized others. A few years later Elder Joseph Lake came to Jonesport from New Brunswick and organized a branch of the church. A Sunday school opened in 1886. In the early 1900s the church had about 150 members, and meetings were being held at the Union Church Lower Village and in the vestry in West Jonesport.
Missionaries also visited Beals Island and preached the Gospel. About 1898 a Sunday school was organized on the island, and in 1905 a new church building was dedicated. It had about forty members and grew steadily.
The church has been active for more than a century. In 2000 it was renamed the Community of Christ Church. Ruth Lenfestey Carver remembers that as young children she and Willavie Lenfestey Beal climbed through a small passage hole into the belfry and replaced the rope, thus putting the bell back into service. Today, however, the belfry and bell are gone. The present steeple dates from 1978.
Caption information from the Jonesport Register, 1905, compiled by Mitchell and Campbell and Beals School students.