Opened in 1919 on West Main Street (Route 139) in the heart of Monroe Village, Littlefield’s Garage was long a familiar landmark for folks driving from Winterport to Brooks through Monroe. The garage was owned and operated by George Edward Littlefield who was known to his neighbors and customers simply as “Eddie.” Born in Winterport in 1889, Eddie recalled that when he first opened his garage business in Monroe, there weren’t more than two or three Fords in town, and he had to repair bicycles and rubber-tired wagons to make ends meet. By the time this photo was taken in the nineteen twenties, however, the garage was a fully equipped Shell Service Station. For over three decades it stood directly across the street from the present Monroe Community Church and next door to the Monroe Village Elementary School which is visible to the far right. Both the Garage and the Village School were completely destroyed by a spectacular fire early on Christmas morning in 1953. A new garage was soon constructed on the site by Eddie Littlefield’s longtime mechanic Wilmer Weaver, to whom Eddie deeded the property.
Contributed by: Charlie Biebel, Monroe Historical Society