At the heart of the original town of Appleton, at the junction of the Burkettville Road (now Route 105) and Collinstown Road, was the once-busy village of Burkettville.
This view of Appleton Village looking east was taken from the lawn of the Fergus McLain House on Sennebec Road after one of the original wooden spans of the bridge was replaced by steel.
This is a view looking south on Elm Street into Appleton Village. On the left is the Odd Fellows Hall, now a private residence.
This is a view north along Elm Street, which is now the Searsmont Road portion of Route 131.
The Oakes Mansion on Appleton Ridge, high above the village of McClain’s Mills (today’s Appleton Village), was constructed in 1896 in the shingle style by Francis Oakes
This building, still standing in North Appleton where Route 105 crosses the St. George’s River, was the general store and post office.