Comfortable, modern travel trailers allowed campers to take some of the amenities of home on the road and offered the flexibility of vacationing in different places.
On May 18, 1909 a crowd of 2000 people gathered at the bunting-draped 1888 Eastern Steamship Company wharf in Belfast to await the arrival and christening of the new steamship Belfast
Rising like the phoenix from the ashes, the Colonial Theatre was rebuilt in 1924 following the fire which destroyed the original theater built in 1912. In addition to showing movies, popular entertainments included stage shows, lectures, boxing matches, bathing beauty contests and “get rich quick nights.”
The Puddle Dock, Dock Square, Sandy Beach are all names used through the years to describe the harbor front land just south of the bridge. It was originally used for dockage purposes, the water being let in by a sluiceway at high tide.
In 1892, Edgar F. Hanson built his lavish mansion, Colonia Villa, on Northport Avenue, opposite what is now City Park. He was a newspaper and magazine publisher, general manager of Dana Sarsaparilla, and ten-term mayor.
Following a split in the congregation of the First Church, the North Church was built in 1831 on Market Street, between High and Church streets.
Dating from about 1920, this view of upper Main Street in Belfast terminates at the public square