This photograph shows road construction in front of the Fiske House Inn. The Rockland to Augusta Road in South Hope was being rebuilt to serve as a State Highway (now Route 17).
Shown here are the original buildings of Alford Lake Camp, the girls’ camp on the eastern shore of Alford Lake, on the Alford Lake Road.
The Mill Pond in the photograph, south of Route 17 at South Hope, is no longer visible. The dam, like so many, washed out long ago, and the course of its source, Quiggle Brook, is now obscured by trees.
The General Store at Hope Corner has been in operation for about 165 years at this location. During that time it has been known by the names of its various owners–True, Smith, Ludwig, and Weaver, among them.
LaForest P. True’s Canning Factory was founded in 1882. It occupied the site where John Athern’s store originally sat, with Hatchet Mountain beyond.