Behind these boys is Ryder’s Hotel, a popular lodging in the early days of tourism on Islesboro. In the building on the right, Benjamin Ryder opened the island’s first boardinghouse
In 1936, Islesboro got a new ferry, the GOV. BRANN. It would be Penobscot Bay’s first purpose designed car ferry.
“Gripsholm,” originally known as “Coombs Bluff,” was built for George W.C. Drexel of Philadelphia in 1903-04 on a 160 acre site overlooking Sabbathday Harbor.
The Town Hall was built in 1894 for $4,000 on the site of the former First Baptist Meeting House and has served many purposes over the years. The Masonic Lodge next to it was built in 1905. In 1904, the State of Maine passed a law requiring consolidation of high schools in jurisdictions like Islesboro.
May 19, 1936 is launching day for the Gov. Brann, a 65’ double-ended, wooden-hulled ferry.