The Calkins family, originally from Wales then Nova Scotia, settled in the Lubec region about 1830. Some became landholders
In 1885 Edward P. Lawrence built a fine Queen Anne style house on North Lubec Road overlooking Johnson Bay, and his brother Elias followed suit in 1900. They were the sons of Moses P. Lawrence, who with two partners opened the Lubec Packing Company in 1881.
Sardine canneries lined Lubec’s wharves in the early 1900s. They operated day and night, employing hundreds of workers of all ages. Each cannery fabricated its own sardine cans until 1908, when the American Can Company opened and began manufacturing the cans.