No record can be found on the Cruiser Pauline. Behind the boat is part of the extensive wharf that lined the bank of the Machias River.
The Arcade was built in 1926 along Route 1 and owned by R.K. Dennison of East Machias. This popular destination attracted locals and tourists alike.
This c. 1920 photo of Main Street in Machias shows a busy downtown. Although the horse watering trough still stands at the intersection, automobiles dominate the commercial district.
In 1860, Mathew Clare purchased a large double house on Court Street beside the County Jail. He soon remodeled the building into a hotel, which he opened as “Clare’s Hotel.”