Members of the Weld family from Massachusetts were among North Haven Island’s early “rusticators.” Dr. Charles G. Weld, a Boston physician and philanthropist, purchased Iron Point
This photograph of Sleepville, off Iron Point Road, was taken circa 1920. On the far left is the home that belonged to Perce and Marion (Thayer) Crockett. In 1907, Perce and Marion moved to Sleepyville from Crockett’s River on Vinalhaven.
In need of a ferryboat after World War II, North Haven residents acquired this vessel and Captain Neal Burgess and his crew traveled to New York to fetch the boat.
Some people maintain that it is easier to get to the mainland, 12 miles away, than it is to get across the Thoroughfare to Vinalhaven! Nonetheless, there have been attempts over the years to make that passage easier.
The large summer home at the far right of this photo was built in 1898 by Dr. Charles G. Weld, one of the early “rusticators” on North Haven Island.
This photograph is taken from a high point on Kents Hill and looks east toward the downtown village of North Haven.
In this photograph the viewer is located up on the outer edge of Kents’ Hill looking east toward the downtown waterfront of North Haven. Although it is difficult to date the photograph exactly, a two-masted schooner can be seen tied up to the dock.
In the early 19th century, North Haven island became a destination for wealthy Bostonians. Calling themselves the “rusticators”, the summer visitors built large vacation homes along the island’s shores.