Bayside in Northport was originally a Methodist summer camp, where thousands gathered for two weeks in late August and early September for preaching, edification, entertainments
This interior view of the Auditorium at Northport Wesleyan Grove Campmeeting was greeted with “oohs” and “ahs” when first shown by Kevin Johnson to a 21st century gathering of Baysiders! Built in 1893 to replace the outdoor stand and seating, the Auditorium, which measured 64 feet square, became a focus for life on the campground.
Built in 1869 by Isaac Cunningham, a farmer from Union, Pioneer Cottage was reported by The Republican Journal (1879) to be the first private dwelling erected at Northport Wesleyan Grove Campmeeting which was founded in 1849.
Edmund “Burke” Elwell was born in Northport where he lived all of his life. He operated the corner grocery store and Post Office at Saturday Cove for 43 years, from about 1877 to 1920. Elwell was also the Postmaster of Northport.