Her sails are up and drawing, but the ancient (1805) schooner Polly is going nowhere. She’s hard aground, and the tide is dropping fast
The lighthouse and sandy beaches at Owls Head have attracted summer visitors for generations. At Crescent Beach, a summer colony began to take root in 1895
It’s end of the day at Rockland and the end of the life for the schooner Jennie A. Cheney, built in Thomaston in 1870.
At Holiday Beach in Owls Head, and at other places along the Maine coast in the 1930s and ‘40s, no one much cared if a few traps and a boat or two sat out the winter.
Family lore had this as a model of the clipper ship Flying Cloud, but the flag shows Red Jacket.
The P. K. Reed family operated this wharf for about 80 years, serving local fishermen and other mariners.
Protected by a headland and Monroe and Sheep Islands, Owl’s Head has long been a safe haven for mariners with the earliest natives making their summer hunting and fishing camps here.
Fred Smith bought a 40-acre farm with 800 feet of shore frontage on Crescent Beach in Owls Head, building an open dancing pavilion in1895 where he also served fish chowders.
The wharf was built shortly after July 7, 1896 when Fred Smith purchased a fairly large tract of land and soon began construction of the wharf extending into Mussel Ridge Channel.
The Ash Point Post Office followed a common pattern in early years, also serving as the Ash Point Store. The consensus is that when this picture was taken, the store was operated by Lottie Crockett Perry Robbins and her husband Arthur.
Built in the 1890s in Ash Point by Alvin Harvey Hurd, this home became Otis Villa when it was opened as a boarding home around 1908 by Alvin and his wife May.
This building, pictured about 1910, began life in 1888 as the Simpson House, a hotel with a deep-water wharf for steamships. The three‑story building with a commanding view from the tower had ten bedrooms, a parlor, a reading room and a dining room that could seat 100 people.
This photograph is of Ashmere, Charles Weeks’ early 19th-century home. It was described in an article appearing in the Courier Gazette of Rockland, Maine: