The 74-foot ex-passenger ferry May Field, built in Brewer in 1875, came to grief twenty years later on the Hart Island’s ledges,
Maine vacationers have always liked to send postcards of lobster traps, lobster boats, and lobsters. This one must have received lots of attention in the 1920s.
The grounded-out lobsterboat may get her bottom painted later in the day after it dries in the sun, but before the evening’s high tide. Catalog Number LB2008.15.417
This photograph shows the most densely populated area of Port Clyde.
The Ocean House is believed to have been built in the 1830s as a rooming house for mariners.
This building was built in the 1890s by the three Brennan brothers, John, James,and William, who were in the fish business.
This is “Fish Cove,” named for Joseph Fish, a carpenter from Waldoboro who came over from Waldoboro.
This view shows Route 131 as it enters the village. The second building on the right is the Ocean House, a popular lodging facility that began business in the 1850s.