Carl Beckman’s 79’ dragger slides overboard September, 16th, 1939. Four months later, Clyson Coffin’s 110’ dragger, now in frame beyond Pelican, will be christened as the St. George.
Main Street Rockland’s Victorian brick commercial buildings
Successful businessman Richard Feyler poses as part of a major article on Rockland’s Seafood Festiva
Summer guests are playing croquet on the west lawn of the Samoset Hotel in the early part of the twentieth century.
The Second Empire style Hotel Rockland, located on Main Street at the foot of Park Street, was built in 1870. Originally named the Lynde Hotel, it was renamed the St. Nicholas Hotel in 1880.
Originally called Sea Street, Tillson Avenue stretches east to the many wharfs on Crockett’s Point, which reaches into Owl’s Head Bay.
This large Greek Revival house on Maple Street in Rockland was built for the Reverend Samuel C. Fessenden, the first pastor of the Rockland Congregational Church.
The Arthur McMullen Granite Works was located at the head of South Cove, off of Main Street in Rockland’s South End.
The Williams Quarry on Old County Road in Rockland, near the Thomaston border, was the deepest quarry in the world. It was 400 feet deep, almost 40 stories down.
General Davis Tillson, the wealthy owner of the Hurricane Granite Co., built Tillson’s Wharf at the end of Sea Street in 1881.
Alfred Mullett, the well known architect for the U.S. Treasury Department, designed the Second Empire Post Office and Customs House for Rockland in 1873.