Catalog Number LB2008.19.114942
Located on Route 1 on the north side of Searsport, the Tourists Inn and Cabins was among several cabin colonies in the area that offered a lodging alternative
Penobscot Park, opposite Sears Island, was quite an attraction in the early 1900s. A persuasive advertisement in the Republican-Journal in July 1910 read:
Christian camp meetings had a huge following from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s. Some were small and transient, while others, like Bayside in Northport
Originally built in 1831, the Searsport House was one of the best hotels to be found outside the larger cities, according to the Industrial Journal, December, 1909. The original building was occupied as a private dwelling until 1835, when it was converted into a hotel.
For just over 100 years this impressive building has stood on the corner of Mortland Road and Union Street in Searsport. At a special Town Meeting held on October 8, 1908, the heirs of Captain George A. Carver proposed a gift to the town, a new public library, fulfilling a long held wish of Capt.(…)
This image shows the colonial mansion of Sidney M. Webber, which was formerly owned by Captain Phineas Pendleton, after it was severely damaged during the Searsport “Sunday Cyclone,” May 22, 1921. The force of the storm moved the home eight feet on its foundation, and the interior was ruined by the shifting of the walls.
On November 10, 1938, the laid-up steamer Vinal Haven snagged her guardrail, listed enough to fill with water, and sunk at the dock.
In nearly a century since this photograph was taken, the trees lining Searsport’s Main Street have disappeared