This is what Stockton Harbor looked like in 1906, with three long new loading wharves jutting out from Cape Jellison’s western shore and fed by Bangor & Aroostoock’s rail lines.
When Americans took to the road in their automobiles for vacations in the 1920s, overnight camps sprang up. They offered a place to pitch a tent and park the car
Downtown Stockton Springs looking to the east, showing all the buildings before any tearing down was done. Mate LaFurley’s store was in what was called the Denslow Block, with a dance hall upstairs that was also used for meetings, etc.
Ingenuity helped keep working coasters going long after their heyday.