Lime kilns and shipyards stood cheek-by-jowl along the Thomaston waterfront in 1869. The Watts Shipyard was one of the busiest
The magnificent elms which merged to form a leafy arch across Thomaston’s broad Main Street
Wilbur Morse’s photograph was published as part of an article on the dragger Nautilus
The original Montpelier was built in 1795 as a retirement estate for Major General Henry Knox and his family.
The Knox Hotel has been in Thomaston since first constructed in 1828 by Joseph Berry for Charles Sampson “to be used for public entertainment.”
The Reine Marie Stewart, 1087 Tons, was a four-masted barkentine built in 1919 by Richard, Arthur and Frank Elliot of the Dunn and Elliot Company as a coal carrier.
On the extreme left at the SE corner of Main and Knox Streets, is the Levensaler Block, built in 1872 by Oscar and Thomas Andrews.
Thomaston was selected as the site for the Maine State Prison in 1823. The prison was completed in 1824 at which time the first 20 convicts arrived from Charlestown,
The bridge is known as the Lower Toll Bridge. The original toll bridge at this location was built in 1818 by Abel Hildreth, a local Thomaston carpenter and joiner, and replaced a ferry used until that time.
This bridge at the foot of Wadsworth Street in Thomaston was built from 1925 to 1928 and spans the Georges River, connecting the village to the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood and beyond to Cushing.
In 1845 William McLoon, Joshua Bartlett, Jr. and Archibald McKellar bought a lot at the end of the bridge in one-third shares and had a one-storey building constructed on it.
Methodists became established in South Thomaston in the 1850s and for many years met in private homes and on the top floor of the Knox Hall, served by short-time ministers.
South Thomaston village was called “The Keag” (pronounced “gig”) after the Wassaweskeag River.
The Eastern Illustrating and Printing Company vehicle is parked near Eugene F. Harrington’s store and the South Thomaston post office .