Union’s Common, now on the National Register of Historic Places, once had a grove of elm trees. They have long since been replaced by maple and other species.
The building was constructed for Union area Masons in 1925-26 on the site of a similar building that burned in 1925. The Masonic rooms were above commercial rental space.
This neighborhood is called Sunk Haze, and the road is Common Road. The ambitious house with ell, seen on the left, still exists.
This view is just west of the Common between the ‘”green” and the entrance to the Union Fairgrounds. The area is called Sunk Haze, one of two such-named places in Maine.
Alford Lake Camp was located at the north end of Alford Lake in Hope, Maine, although the mailing address was Union.